Rustic, fresh, and hearty, Creamy Asparagus + Potato Soup is my dream spring dinner when it’s still a little chilly out. The texture is so silky and creamy from the Yukon gold potatoes, no cream required, with a bright flavor from the asparagus.
Saute the aromatics
- Add olive oil or butter to a heavy bottomed stockpot or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add diced onion, stir to coat in olive oil or butter, and season generously with kosher salt.
- Saute diced onion over medium heat for several minutes until soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add diced garlic, stir, cook until garlic is fragrant, about a minute or so.
Cook the potatoes
- Add the cubed potatoes, season with kosher salt, and stir.
- Cover with stock. Turn heat up to medium-high to bring stock up to a boil, and once it’s boiling, turn heat down to medium. Simmer, covered with lid, for about 15 minutes, or until the potatoes are fork-tender.
Quickly cook asparagus + blend
- Add asparagus, season with kosher salt, and stir to incorporate. Simmer for about 5-7 minutes, until the asparagus is just barely cooked and still has a bright flavor.
- Blend in blender or with an immersion blender until smooth. Transfer back into pot to keep warm until serving. Taste and adjust to add more salt if needed to bring out the flavors. Sometimes I add a few knobs of salted butter to add a bit more richness if I’m craving it.
Finish + serve
- Serve while warm. Top individual bowls with generous drizzles of extra virgin olive oil, fresh marjoram, flaky salt, and freshly cracked black pepper. Round it out with crusty toasted buttery bread or even better, homemade croutons.