Slow Roasted Tomatoes with Burrata + Crusty Bread
Cherry tomatoes are roasted with smashed garlic cloves and olive oil until caramelized, then spooned over fresh burrata and crusty bread.
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes
- 1/4ccup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- kosher salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- 8 ounces burrata or fresh mozzarella
- crushed red chili flakes
- flaky finishing salt
- Fresh oregano, marjoram, or basil chopped
- Optional: crusty or gilled bread
The Riffs, Subs + Swaps!
- The Tomatoes: Cherry tomatoes, grape, or plum tomatoes all work. If you have Summer tomatoes like Early Girls or other similar-sized tomatoes, slice them in half or quarter them, and roast until caramelized and soft.
- The Garlic: Leave it out if you don’t have it on hand, or sub in sliced shallots.
- The Spices + Seasonings: Kosher salt and cracked black pepper go a long way when roasting the tomatoes, but switch up the spices if you’re feeling it. Fennel, mustard seeds, harissa, or preserved lemons would all add a unique punch of flavor.
- The Burrata: Sub in torn fresh mozzarella if needed, or break up a bunch of ricotta salata as a swap instead.
- The Herbs: Use the freshest, best-tasting herbs you can find here. My dad grows the most flavorful oregano I have ever tried in our family garden so I usually use that or basil. Chives, marjoram, or parsley would also be fab.
- The Additions: Have some other Summer produce on hand? Add raw or grilled corn kernels, or any summer stone fruit to this dish before serving.
- The Dairy-Free + Vegan Swaps: Omit the cheese entirely and enjoy roasted tomatoes with crusty or grilled bread.
- Preheat the oven to 350* F.
- On a rimmed a baking sheet, toss whole tomatoes with olive oil, smashed garlic cloves, kosher salt, and freshly cracked black pepper.
- Arrange tomatoes in a single layer on baking sheet and roast for 40-45 minutes, or until the tomatoes are soft and slightly caramelized on the outside.
- Let cool slightly, and arrange roasted tomato mixture (including any oil from the pan) on serving platter with torn burrata or mozzarella. Top with crushed red chili flakes, flaky salt, and chopped fresh herbs. Enjoy with crusty toasted or grilled bread.