Strawberry + Rhubarb Crisp
Tart, sweet, jammy, buttery, crumbly – yes please! A crisp is a baked dessert of fruit that’s tossed with sugar and topped with butter, flour, sugar, and rolled oats. This recipe is simple and forgiving - perfect for feeding a crowd.
Strawberry + Rhubarb Filling
- 4 cups sliced strawberries (about 1.5 lbs strawberries)
- 4 cups sliced rhubarb about 1" slices (about 1 lb rhubarb)
- 1- 1 1/4 cups granulated sugar start with 1 cup if you have very sweet strawberries
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 3/4 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cups packed brown sugar or granulated sugar
- pinch kosher salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted or room temp AKA 1/2 cup or 1 stick
The Riffs, Subs + Swaps!
- The Fruit: Strawberry and rhubarb are a classic combo. If you can’t get your hands on rhubarb, replace it with more sliced strawberries, and add in some lemon zest and juice for that tart flavor. Or - add in raspberries for a similar tart flavor. In the summer, swap in peaches, nectarines, mixed berries, cherries, plums, you name it! In the fall and winter months, apples and pears are lovely.
- The Sweetener: Granulated sugar is classic in the strawberry rhubarb mixture, but I’ve tested this recipe with maple syrup and date syrup, and both work super well as a refined sugar-free option! Plus, maple syrup and date syrup lend additional jammy-ness to that fruit mixture, yum. If you’re going that route and want to keep it refined sugar-free, sub in coconut sugar in the crisp topping mixture in place of brown sugar.
- The Spice + Aromatics: Here, I keep the mixture pretty simple since strawberries and rhubarb are pretty balanced as is. Some other fun ideas to mix into the fruit: lime zest and ginger, lemon zest and juice, or cinnamon (this is the move when using apples or pears).
Prep the strawberry + rhubarb filling
- Preheat oven to 375* F.
- While the oven preheats, combine strawberries, rhubarb, sugar, cornstarch, and salt in large mixing bowl. Let mixture sit while oven preheats to macerate the fruit (this will become super jammy while it bakes)
Prep the crisp topping
- Make the crisp topping by mixing rolled oats, flour, sugar, and salt in bowl. Work in the butter with your fingers, a fork, or pastry cutter, until combined. The mixture should be a combination of large pieces and coarse crubmly bits.
Assemble + bake
- Transfer strawberry rhubarb mixture to a large baking dish that's at least 2 quarts, top with the crisp mixture, and bake for 40-45 minutes, or until topping is crisp and slightly golden brown.
- Let cool for about 15 minutes to let it set, and serve.