Make this this Tomato + White Bean Stew on a crisp night! Pantry staples and a few fresh ingredients add a quick punch of flavor this 30-minute recipe.
Saute the aromatics
- Add olive oil or butter to a heavy bottomed stockpot or dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add diced onion to pot, stir to coat in olive oil or butter, and season very generously with kosher salt. If you want some spice, add the Calabrian chile paste or a few pinches crushed red chili flakes.
- Saute diced onion over medium heat for several minutes until soft, stirring occasionally.
- Add diced garlic, stir, cook until garlic is fragrant, about a minute or so.
- Add tomato paste, stir to evenly distribute, and cook for several minutes to caramelize the onion, garlic, and tomato paste mixture. The mixture will have a bricky red color when it's caramelized.
Add Remaining Ingredients + Simmer
- Add canned tomatoes, chopped kale, broth (or stock or water), lemon zest, parmesan, and drained white beans. Using the back of a wooden spoon, gently crush some of the beans - this will help thicken the stew.
- With the lid off the stock pot, let the stew simmer on medium heat for about 10 minutes - you should see steam coming out of the pot, and the liquid should reduce slightly, which concentrates the flavor. Stir occasionally. Taste as the stew simmers and add more salt as needed. Stir occasionally to submerge kale. You'll finish this recipe with the lid on the stockpot.
- Cover your pot with lid and let simmer on low heat for at least 10 more minutes.
Finish + Serve
- Serve with freshly cracked black pepper, lots of grated parm, and lemon wedges from the zested lemon. Enjoy with buttery toast slices.